The Hertfordshire two-day General Husbandry course is for those that simply wish to gain further practical training beyond Basic, and those wishing to take the actual General Husbandry assessment either this year or sometime in the future.
Its aim is ….
- for those using it as final checks before taking the General Husbandry Assessment
- for those starting out to study and prepare for taking the Assessment at a later date, and
- for those simply wishing to gain some further training beyond Basic Assessment level, and may or may not plan to take the Assessment at a later date.
The first day in autumn, the Scoping and Planning Day; all day on a Saturday in October is classroom based
- describes the relationship of the General Husbandry to the Basic Assessment and to Advanced Husbandry, and the main aspects of the General Husbandry syllabus,
- outlines the practical apiary environment expected at General Husbandry level and assessment,
- covers the level of competence expected at General Husbandry level in three of the main areas ..
- swarm control
- queen rearing theory, and
- brood disease inspection and management
The main aim for those planning to take the Assessment the following year is for them to be able to assess what further studying and/or revising might be needed over the winter.
The second day in late spring, the Preparation and Practical Day is both classroom and apiary based, and provides final preparations for those aiming to take their Assessment that year, and to provide an advanced view of expectation for those planning to take the Assessments at a later date or just attending for interest.
- Venue: University of Hertfordshire’s Bayfordbury Campus (close to Hertford on the A10)
- The Bayfordbury Campus is used by the University staff and students as a field station for ecological and environmental research and teaching, and there is an ongoing monitoring of wildlife. It has superb facilities that we have been able to use, and now includes an apiary set up last year for both University and Member’s use.
- Dates: Saturdays 15th October 2016 and 20th May 2017 – 9.30am to 4.00pm
- Only £70 (£80 for non Herts BKA Members) including buffet lunch
Applicants should email email@example.com